Friday, October 18, 2013

read a post from Chris about "Ender's Game" and how he refuses to watch it, because author Orson Scott Card doesn't want anyone to know that he is gayer than a "My Little Pony" marathon hosted by RuPaul. While waiting for the glue gun to heat up so I can build crap, I thought I'd talk about some of MY entertainment boycotts to loan some perspective.

This isn't something I like doing, let alone champion. Separating the artist from their output is to be admired. But y'know, every time "Rosemary's Baby" shuffles up in my Netflix queue, I think, "Man, am I glad I saw that before I discovered that Roman Polanski is currently wanted across the Atlantic for rutting a tween." Because it is, after all, "the greatest horror film ever made"- a film so good it should be Exhibit A in a pedophilia trial. (I want to be the judge: "I SAW it. It's slower than geese in a crosswalk. Fifty years; no parole.") And rocking out on the music I do, there's always the urge to give a listen to the ever-influential black metal crafted by Burzum. You know Burzum, right? It's a one-man-project: Varg Vikernes performs all the vocals, guitars, keyboards, percussion, automatic weapons possession, church-burning, racist propaganda, and jail time. Oh: AND he murdered Euronymous of Mayhem- just in case your testes twisted over "automatic weapons possession" being included above. ("But Gil; Varg didn't USE a gun- he STABBED Euronymous and HE said it was self-defen-" IT'S NORWAY; LET IT GO)

...AND GIL'S PIPE CLEANERS COME FROM CHINA. Yes, let's put an end to the flawed notion that a boycott is a glorified attempt to be free from all wrong-doing; no one's necessarily surrendering the country back to the Cherokee, are they? But it find it's okay to draw a line in the sand and say "No more." That's just a personal view and it doesn't have to, to...

...You know what? Fuck that wall of text. I mean, thanks for reading it and coming along THIS far, but this is writing is all stream of consciousness. Here's all I really have to say: Did you eat any Chick-Fil-A last year once you found out they were run by homophobic sludge...? Me neither. SO DON'T WATCH "ENDER'S GAME". Consistency, people!

One last thing: I long for the days when an asshole can be called an asshole without betraying any sort of ideology. Since my transformation from Incendiary Partisan Cartoonist to Evil Toy Maker, I realize my opinions CAN reflect on my output and I actively try to make my rants less "Nugent" in their delivery. AND IF THERE IS A GOD, THAT WILL BECOME A PROPER ADJECTIVE...